Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Save the BOOBIES? Save the woman!

I recently saw another post on tumblr about the phrase "Don't let cancer steal second base!" and decided to make that my next blog topic.
Naturally, someone commented their outrage over women with a deadly disease being belittled to mere body parts and said, "HOW ABOUT DON’T LET CANCER STEAL WOMEN’S LIVES
BECAUSE WOMEN AREN’T JUST BOOBS THEY’RE PEOPLE JESUS CHRIST."

Those are similar to my thoughts exactly. 

My brother, who is 2 years older than me, used to wear a burnt orange Save the Boobies bracelet. I didn't pay much attention to it until I came across several posts that spelled it out for me how problematic this was. They explained how it is mostly men who are advocating for women to save their breasts by checking for lumps. Save their breasts. Not Save their lives. They used catchy slogans such as "Save the Boobies", "Save Second Base", etc. Nothing is mentioned about the woman to whom the breasts are attached to.

This comic came after Angelina Jolie elected to have a double mastectomy.

Another thing was pointed out in this article about how Breast Cancer is the third leading killer of women, behind heart disease and lung cancer, but it receives 15 times more funding than heart disease. The article says, "Breast cancer is marketable because sex sells. Breast cancer is perceived as the absolute worst kind of cancer because of its implications. The possibility that a woman might lose her breasts, which in our society is tied to a woman’s value, naturally garners more attention."

I'm trying to picture the reverse, if women sexualized men and colon cancer or testicular cancer and used catchy sayings that also doubled as innuendo. I don't see it in the media or online or hear about it and I have a hard time picturing it gaining the same popularity as the breast cancer and boobs have.

On social media, women who post pictures of their chests after a mastectomy have their pictures taken down. They have their breast feeding pictures taken down or are ridiculed if they choose to breastfeed in public. It's all about saving the tatas or boobies and paying homage to them until they are used for anything besides sex.

I hope I've instilled in my older brother a number of things regarding gender and feminism and I hope he understands why Save The BOOBIES/ Save the TATAS/etc are problematic, even though they raise money. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment