Saturday, May 2, 2015

It's just a word. A word with a terrible history behind it, so stop using it!



In one of our classes, there was a student who said that the N-word is just a word and alluded to the fact that words only have power when you let them.

I'm a white, middle class woman. The only words that actually could even have the power to offend me are those aimed at my gender, such as Bitch and C---t (I refuse to say this word or even type it out because I disagree strongly with it.)
As a white person, there is no equivalent to the N-word or to any racial slur. Cracker is the only thing I can think of and I find it funny more than anything.

The reason for this is because white people have benefited from a system of oppression that puts us at the top.

I don't use the N-word in front of black people or by myself or amongst friends. I don't use any slur of any kind in front of the people it's aimed towards or by myself or amongst friends.

I think words do have power regardless of whether you let them or not.

The video above is a clip from Louis CK's show Louie and starting at 5:05, it starts talking about when straight people use the word Fa--ot when referring to LGBT.

"You might want to know that every gay man has probably had that word shouted at them when they're being beaten up, sometimes many times, sometimes by a lot of people all at once. So when you say it, it kind of brings all that up..."

Words like the F word and the N word have a negative history behind them. People who are similar to the oppressor, such as straight, white people, have no right to use those words at all.

In regards to who can use those words- I have no say on that. I personally think a)  that is something that the LGBT and Black communities can discuss themselves but they don't need or want my input and b) that these communities should be able to reclaim those words for themselves or remake them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment